Here is one example of a possible plan for merging of St. Mary’s, Holy Spirit and the Cathedral. Several plans were submitted to the Bishop for review. Did he ever consider them? We don’t know.
1. The two-story rectory (once a convent) on Carlton Road is sold.
2. The Cathedral complex building and southern property is sold. A person who approached us about buying and renovating the building for his school/business would be idea as they wanted only the building and southern property. This person will allow us to continue to worship in the temple portion of the building. The northern frontage of approx. 5 acres remains in our possession.
3. Holy Spirit Church is converted/sold into a chapel/mausoleum/funeral home. Sam from Yurch (or others) may be interested in having the only completely full-service funeral home in the area that includes a chapel, mausoleum and cemetery. Rent or sell to them.
4. St. Mary’s keeps their school going for 3 more years at the present location.
5. All three parishes are merged into one. The new owner of the old Cathedral building allows us to use the temple for three years.
6. A new, state-of-the-art complex on the corner of Snow and Broadview is started with the money from the partial Cathedral sale, rectory sale and Holy Spirit sale/rental.
7. New complex is full service – kitchen, hall, rec center, studio, meeting rooms, small school with built-in rectory and apartments for seminarians in training and special guests. The sign is already there at the corner.
8. The three parishes collections will total $5000/week which will not only run the new complex place but help pay off the debt. Run catering in hall if necessary.
9. St. Mary’s school moves to new complex after the time it takes to get the new one built.
10. Entire St. Mary’s complex is then sold.
11. Assisting the pastor with the new complex and services will be the three deacons and multiple cantors. A new vision for the future will be supported physically, spiritually and financially by the faithful.